Over the last month or so I have enjoyed some extra sewing time and I have tried out a new sewing pattern. New Look 6035 I made the top version C. The first one I made was a straight size 12 exactly as per the pattern and I used some lightweight cotton from my stash.
It fits perfectly and I am really pleased with it. I particularly like the gathered neckline which is a really pretty feature. I also like the fact that you can make one of these tops from less than 1m of fabric. As I knew the fit was good I was keen to sew up some more and the only change I made was to lengthen the top by 1 inch as I am quite tall. I used 3 pieces of Liberty cotton lawn from my stash and here are the tops I've made.
When sewing I'm always amazed at how different the same pattern can look made up in a different fabric.
Recently I made a summer dress which I wrote about in this blog post Well I had a small piece of fabric left over and just enough you've guessed it to make yet another top. This week I also sewed up some more tops from small pieces of fabric leftover from summer dresses and a skirt that I made a few years ago. I will try and get some pictures of me wearing the tops and I'll add them to this post.
With the long hot spell of weather we are currently having in the UK I am getting a lot of wear out of these tops! I recently started a new job and they are all part of my summer working wardrobe. I think worn with jeans and a cardigan when its cooler they are the perfect summer top. I'm also at that age where I often run hot so I find that I am making a lot more sleeveless tops and dresses for my wardrobe! Do you have a favourite pattern that you make several versions of? If so I would love to hear about it in the comments section. Thanks for stopping by and until next time. Yvonne x
Following on from my blog post back in May where I talked about my summer sewing plans. This week I have made two more of the summer dresses I wanted to make for my holiday. I used fabrics from my stash and I really like how different the dresses look by changing the fabric!
The first dress I made was using some lovely Polyester fabric which I had previously bought from Minerva Crafts on sale. It was really lovely to finally make something with it as it had been in my fabric stash for at least a year maybe two.
The second dress I made was using this pretty floral microfibre fabric also from my stash and again previously purchased from Minerva crafts.
The pattern I used was Simplicity 2247 and I made version C. This is a pattern I have made several times before and it is the perfect summer holiday dress as it does not need ironing and it dries very quickly.
And here are my 2 finished dresses and I am really pleased with how they have turned out. They are the perfect light and airy summer dress for keeping cool in the hot weather we are currently having in the UK!
June was a very hot month here in the UK and I cannot believe that we are already half way through the year. We have a very old peony in our garden which we took with us when we moved house. In June it always flowers and never disappoints.
Earlier in the month we enjoyed a lovely weekend away in Norfolk to celebrate my husband's birthday. Whilst away we visited a lovely National Trust property called Blickling Hall and the rhododendron's were stunning. I think they were the tallest ones we have ever seen.
Also in June it was my birthday and I made a carrot cake which was delicious. The recipe was from this book . We also celebrated by going away for the weekend in Derbyshire which was idyllic.
We enjoyed a lovely cycle ride along the Ashby canal and it's alway nice to see baby swans.
Whilst in Derbyshire we visited a lovely National Trust property called Calke Abbey . After exploring the house and gardens we also enjoyed some cycling whilst we were there. We cycled along the tramway trail which takes you all around the estate through woodland, farmland and park land.